Wilson Historical Society
641 Lake Street, P.O. Box 830
Wilson, NY 14172
The Wilson Historical Society and Museum is located on Lake Street in the southern outskirts of the Village of Wilson. Established in 1972, the Society has flourished and the museum expanded through the efforts of hundreds of volunteers. The museum building is the former N.Y. Central Depot which was enlarged and renovated in 1912-13. Displays in the Depot include Fire Company memorabilia, photo equipment, medical supplies, radio equipment, business artifacts, books and genealogical files.
Randall Road School House
The 1861 Randall Road school house was moved to the site in 1996. It has since been renovated into a "working school house", where students may gather with their teachers to experience what it was like to attend an old one-room school house.
Other displays include a 1903 N.Y. Central Caboose, the John F. Argue Memorial Building, which houses many antique and classic cars, and the Barnum Building, which features exhibits of Wilson's former Post Office and a country store.
Rex Tugwell Log Cabin
New to the museum in 2000 is the Rex Tugwell Log Cabin, which was donated to the museum by Floyd "Red" Clark.
Memorial Day Fair
The main fundraiser for the Society is the Memorial Day Fair, which draws thousands annually. The Old Fashioned Fair features demonstrations, chicken barbecue, funnel cakes, antique car show, and a giant flea market with over 350 dealers, along with many other fun things to do for the whole family. Free shuttle bus service within the Village, handicapped parking and free admission are all part of the celebration. You can contact Wally Goodman at 716-751-6583 for vendor information. The application can be downloaded here>
The Museum is located at 641 Lake Street in the Village of Wilson. Mailing address is P.O. Box 830, Wilson, NY 14172. Museum visiting hours are 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. the first and third Sunday afternoons, excluding the months of November through March. Special arrangements may be made by phoning in off season. For information call: President John Sinclair at 716-550-2131 or Diane Muscoreil , Town Clerk, at 716-751-6704.
The following publications are available from the Wilson Historical Society. All of these can be shipped.
- Wilson Sketchbooks ! & 2 - by Don Croop $15.00 Each
- Diary of a Deadman (Letters and Diary of Ira Pettit) $15.00
- Images of Wilson, NY $20.00
- No. 2 Tall Tales and Legends 1974 $2.00
- No. 3 - The Churches of Wilson 2009 $2.00
- No. 4 - The Land of Cobblestones 1976 $1.00
- No. 5 - The Valient Men of Battery M $2.00
- No. 6 - The Postal Service of Wilson $1.00
- No. 8 - Wilson's Vanishing Heritage $1.00
- No. 9 - The Story of Sunset Island 1981 $2.00
- no. 10 - The Albright Opera House $1.00
- No. 11 - The Wilson Free Library 1983 $1.00
- No. 12 - The Story of Billy Sherman 1984 $2.00
- No. 13 - Wilson's Roads 1987 $2.00
- Package of Wilson Notecards $4.00
- Post Cards $1.00 for four
- Patches - FREE - Complimentary Gift of Visit
- Christmas Ornaments $2.00
- Recipes from the Wilson Historical Society $4.00
- Ceramic Cup $10.00
- Coaster/Trivet $5.00
For membership information please contact Diane Muscoreil at 716-751-6704 or by email. You can also contact her for additional information and postage charges.